Saturday, January 5, 2008

It Doesn't Work!



In the beginning, Happy and Confident!



Getting frustrated because it just wasn't happening!

We've been trying to get Bretten interested in potty training, but he is getting a little frustrated with it. We're still keeping him in pull-ups until we know he's ready to be fully interested in it, but he is gradually starting to show some curiosity about it. A few days ago, he finally had his first success on the potty. Last night, I knew he was ready to go #2 (one of those things you catch on to as a mother) so I made him go sit on the potty and after about a half an hour (he makes me sit there with him the whole time) he finally went. Yeah! We celebrated and he earned his prize that I've been bribing him with for quite some time now. To make it more exciting, we put a potty chart up on the door for him so he could put stickers on it when he goes. This morning he told me he wanted to earn another sticker and that he needed to go potty, so we got him all ready and he sat on the toilet and tried and tried. Then he started to get frustrated and a little bit mad because he couldn't 'produce' anything. I kept saying it's okay if you can't go, we can try again later, but he really wanted to do it I guess because he insisted on sitting there forever. I finally told him I was going to go in the other room to take care of Kaysen and he could yell to me when he was done. Finally I heard him mumbling to himself and kind of wimpering, so I went in the bathroom to see what was going on and he was practically in tears and very upset and then he told me " 'It' doesn't work. I can't get 'it' to work." Poor kid! He just needs time to figure out how to get 'it' to work! Well, we didn't get anything that time, but I guess we'll keep trying!!!

3 comments:

Sarah Jimenez said...

Cherish-
I am pretty sure Bretten will some day shoot you for these shots! Good luck with the potty training... I am so not looking forward to going through it..

Taylors said...

poor Bretten. That's what Josie will say, "it's not working mom" but that is her reason to get off she doesn't keep trying. It sounds like he is a very determined little guy, that is a good thing! Your kids are getting so big! It looks like you had a fun Christmas and our family looked just like your at 12:00 am on New Years... except none of us were even up to take a picture :)

Lacey said...

I am so sorry.....I have NO advice!!!