Tuesday, September 4, 2007

We're in Vernal!!!

Okay- Just a quick update for those who have been waiting to here about our move. Let me just say that we've had the most stressful month of my married life thus far!!! Holy cow! So, we got the last of our things loaded up on our U-Haul (yes, we decided to move ourselves because it was insanely expensive to use a moving company). We cleaned and scrubbed down the house and fixed all the things that the seller had requested. We were so exhausted!!! Jaylee and Bretten went to Cedar City to stay with Jason's parents so that we could finish up the last of the moving without them going crazy! I missed them, but it was nice to get some nonstop work done finally! We officially handed over the house keys to the new owners of our home in Page on Tuesday. Jason also had his last day of work at Wal-Mart on Tuesday and we left that night to Panguitch. This is where our troubles began!!! I thought I was stressed to the max already, but no, something else had to be thrown in there on top of it all....the cherry on my pie!
So we're driving, and about 25 minutes south of Panguitch, (about 10 minutes before Todd's junction, turn off to Cedar Moutain) I went around a curve and there were 2 deer just standing on the side of the road, frozen in place and staring at me. I didn't know what they were going to do, so I slammed my brakes on and kept going straight. I'm so gald I didn't swerve because there were hills on both sides of the road. Luckily they didn't dart out in front of me. I thought I was safe and I was thinking, "Wow! You always think what would I do if I were in that situation? And I just had "that" situation." Anyways, right when I passed those deer, there were three more deer all in the middle of the road. I just screamed because I knew it was gonna be bad! I had Kaysen in the front seat of the van, which I never do, but we had the van completely packed with our belongings and I had to put him up front with me...and I did have the aribag turned off on his side. Anyways, all I knew was that I was going to hit at least one deer and as I got closer...this is all in slow motion...I see the first two deer dart in the opposite direction of my car, but the last deer decided to dart right into my van. Thankfully I was already slowed down because of the previous deer I had just passed. I knew all I could do was just keep going and try not to go off the road. Even though I now feel like it was all a blur, I can still feel every fear I had in my body...I know I was concentrating so hard on what I was suppose to do to cause the least damage to Kaysen and me, but I also remember just wanting to close my eyes and not deal with what was happening; it was like I just wanted to wake up from a bad dream. I really thought I was going to die! I also remember screaming and putting my hand out to cover Kaysen because I was so scared the deer was going to come through my side window and not only kill me, but hurt my precious baby. Well, thankfully none of us were hurt and my window didn't even break, but boy that darn deer sure scared me to death and messed up my lovely van pretty bad! The deer hit right in front of the driver's side tire and rolled back all along the side of my van. He took off my driver's side mirror and dented in the metal over the wheel so bad it immdediately started hitting the tire. I pulled over to the side of the road and was so shaken up I could hardly breathe. I was crying and I was in disbelief that we were alive and unharmed. I had no idea what to do and after a minute I tried to get out of my car, but the door wouldn't even open because it was so dented in. I tried calling Jason, who was a little ways behind me, but the service for our cell phones was bad up in the moutains and I couldn't get through to him. I waited a few minutes and got one service bar on my phone and tried calling my Mom and luckily got through. She was going to call the highway patrol for me, but right then, a Sheriff's Officer pulled over. I'd never been so happy to see a cop! He helped me get out of my van and bent up the metal over the tire enought that I could drive on. The door on the driver's side still wont open from the outside. Anyways, there is a lot more to tell, but this is getting long, so I will just say we are okay and the van is a mess, but we did make it to Vernal. Now, on with the rest of the week....
We stopped in Panguitch for the night and did eventually make it to Vernal the next day. What a drive! I stayed behind the U-haul the whole way because of my mirror and I was still just a little shaken up about driving. We went to do our final walk through the night that we got here and we were very disappointed to see that most of the things on our punchlist weren't completed, plus the house was disgustingly dirty (the construction crews never bothered to clean up after themselves so it was just a big dust pile and wood pieces and dirt everywhere) and I had just had a whole week of cleaning my house in Page from top to bottom, so I just wanted to cry when I saw all the work ahead of me! Well, we didn't have much of a choice. We had all of our stuff in a U-haul and were suppose to be signing on our house in the morning, and then moving in the next day so that we could return the U-haul and get somewhat settled before Jason had to be back to work! Plus, the loan company would have had to redo everything because the dates would have been different, etc., etc., so we went on with signing on the house anyways. Not that the house was a bad deal or anything, we just were...are...upset at how much extra work it is causing for us. Besides that though, we are VERY exicted to be here and be the proud new owners of a house that is finally big enough for our little family...and even big enough to have people over...so y'all plan to visit! Well, that is the update for now. Oh- and I have pictures, lots of them, but our computer isn't turning on ever since we unpacked it, so we had to go buy a new one today (just what we needed right now!!!), but I'll have it up and running soon hopefully because I need it for my on-line college class and to update my blog!! :)

3 comments:

The Spencers said...

Oh Cherish! I'm soo sorry! Moving is hard enough and then to add all of that on top of everything, how stressfull! I'm glad you and Kaysen are safe and you finally made it up there. I wish I could come help you clean. Just keep in mind how nice it will be when everything is unpacked and you are settled in and then hopefully you guys can enjoy your new home and Jason will be home more! I am so excited for you guys. I will call you soon, hopefully when you guys are settled in and less stressed!

Lacey said...

I'm so glad you are okay. so when are you coming?

The Mayers said...

Holy Cow! What a move. You handled it amazing, I don't think I could have done that. I hate the stress of moving across town. I am glad you and Kaysen are OK and you are in your house.
Brandy