All Ready to Go!
Excited to be home and tell Mom all about her day!
Bretten trying to be excited about getting ready for his first day of preschool!
Wednesday was Jaylee's first day of kindergarten and Bretten's first day of preschool! Luckily, they both got morning schedules (not so lucky for me because I'm not a morning person, but lucky in the sense that one isn't on a afternoon schedule and one on morning).
One thing they do at Bretten's preschool is they send a paper home that lets the parents know what he did that day, so here is what his first "My School Day" note said:
"Today I played with the cash register. I played in purple sand. I laughed when we sang the freeze song. I played with a pirate ship."
Bretten isn't terribly shy, but he definitely has a little bit of anxiety about new people and new situations. Last week at his back to school night he had to keep asking me if I was going to be there the whole time with him because he wasn't ready to go by himself. I kept reassuring him that I would be there, but that next week when he started preschool, he would have to go by himself. He would say that was okay because he was going to be a big boy next week. I could tell from the way he said his response that he was trying to talk himself into believing it though. When we woke him up on Wednesday morning for school, he started sobbing first thing, before we could even say anything. He knew it was the big day and he couldn't hold his fears in any longer! So, I told him it was going to be okay and that I would go with him and stay with him until he felt comfortable. That made him feel a little better. Since Jaylee's school starts 10 minutes earlier than preschool, we took her first and he saw that she was excited and fine with going to school, so I think that helped. I was a little anxious to leave Jaylee and trying to decide how I felt about the whole thing, but she is so independent and was telling me I could leave now, so I didn't worry too much about her and was happy that she was so excited to be starting kindergarten. When we got to Bretten's school, he was excited and all the teachers and staff were really friendly and welcoming. I helped him find his name tag and he hung his backpack up and then he immediately ran over to the tables where there were other kids doing puzzles. He jumped right in on the fun and forgot all about being scared. So, I told him I was leaving and that I loved him and he didn't even stop to look up as he said "Bye Mom! Love you!". That was a relief because I was kind of worried he wouldn't let me leave. (And yes, I'll enjoy the days that he isn't embarrassed to say "I love you!" in front of his whole class!). When I picked Bretten up, he couldn't stop talking about all the fun things he did. He especially liked the 'purple sand' that he got to play with. When Jaylee got home, she was anxious to tell me all about her day too and told me they got recess and that it was her favorite part of school! Go figure! Since Bretten got home before her and had already told me all about his day, Jaylee was really cute and made Bretten tell her all over again about everything he did at preschool. She was excited for him to start school too. She is such a great big sister!
3 comments:
Wow Cherish your kids are getting so big! I am glad their first days of school went so good. I am also glad Kaysen's surgery went well. That would have been pretty scary! How is your pregnancy going? Are you feeling okay? Hope all is well!
I can't believe Kaylee is in kindergarten! And what a great big sister she is to have Bretten tell her all about his day. I love it!
Hopefully Kaysen's surgery will help with his speech. He is so cute. I'm glad that everything went okay. We must have similar taste because Bretten is wearing the exact same pj's that Tyler had last year. Good to hear that your kids liked their first day of school.
Post a Comment