Saturday, May 5, 2007

How NOT to cook a pizza!!!


Well, Thursday night rolled around, and as I prepared for our "Thursday Night Ritual" of pizza and our favorite show, Survivor, I had quite the "I'm an Idiot" experience.
We usually rotate between ordering pizza, making home-made pizzas, and cooking freezer pizzas. This week, it was freezer pizza week! So, imagine this scenario if you can....
I was in the kitchen trying to get the pizzas into the oven before Jason got home from work. I had the pizzas on tinfoil all ready to go in the oven. I opened the oven door and hurried and pushed the pizzas in, but one slid half-way off of the tinfoil. Instead of being smart and pulling out the oven rack to fix the problem, I decided I was coordinated (and invincible) enough that I could stick my whole arm into the oven, all the way to the back, and push the pizza back onto the foil without any worries. Well, I wasn't as cool as I thought and I got quite the burn!!! My arm hit the red heating element and before I could even pull my arm out, the smell of my burnt flesh filled the room. Yuck! I felt my arm overcome with pain and as I looked down to see a huge gash burned in my arm, it took everything I had not to faint...into the oven mind you, as it was still wide open. I felt tears rolling down my face and I must have been screaming because at that moment, my kids came running into the kitchen with worried looks on their faces. I hurried and closed the stove door (that still had smoke coming out from the heating element that just about "killed" me) so that my kids wouldn't hurt themselves. I immediately ran over to the sink and turned on the cold water. I was looking at my burn in shock. I didn't know what to do. The skin was just gone and nothing filled the gash that was there. I didn't know what to do and I was in so much pain I couldn't even think. All I was thinking is how could I make this burning sting stop??? I ran over to the cupboard and pulled out my left over pain killers that I'd received after I had my c-section back in January. It felt like an eternity as I was trying to open the pill bottles. They finally came open, spilling out all over the floor, and I desperately downed as many as I dared. Just then, Jason came in the door and I started yelling for him to hurry and come here. He came back to the kitchen and saw me down on the floor with a crazy look of despair on my face, a very smelly kitchen, screaming kids (as I had scared them by this point), and pain killers all over the floor (I can only imagine what his first thoughts were). I immediately told him to take me to the ER.
He told me to calm down, and I quickly did as I realized what impressions he was getting from this whole scene. I explained to him what just happened. He took one look at my burn and calmly told me "Oh, you'll be okay!" I knew he was only worried about not accumulating any more medical bills (as we still have bills constantly coming in from Kaysen's birth). So, anyways, to make a long story short, I did live...I know...Shocking!!!, and I didn't have to go to the ER, but man, what a crazy night. I had ice packs on my arm all night. Oh, and by the way, we had to throw the pizzas away because they smelled so bad....or maybe it was just the lingering smell, but Eww...I hope I never experience anything like that again! Burns are the worse! Here is a picture of it almost 1 1/2 weeks later...it looks A LOT better than it did. Enjoy and learn from my stupidity!

No comments: